Online At Last!

Tuesday, Aug 04

Well, I’ve had a dickens of a time getting internet service here in Reno, even though my fabulous publisher installed me in a very nice hotel, in the concierge tower. Casino/hotels don’t want you hanging out in your room, after all, blogging and writing and living as normal a life as one can hope to in a Reno hotel…so they don’t make it easy. The remote for the TV is impossible, and you can make 1 cup of coffee at a time.

In any case, today I managed to make a stop at a Best Buy–my escort, Dianemarie, took me there–and a wonderful young man named Trent fixed me up with a special connector-dealie, and here I am!

I have been tweeting regularly on Twitter–if you’re into that sort of thing, I hope you’ll sign up to follow me.

I arrived in Reno night before last, pretty tired, and found out that 1) my luggage hadn’t made it onto the plane and 2) the car service thought I was coming a day later. You deal. American Airlines promised to deliver my bags to the hotel as soon as they came in–I had no makeup, no pajamas, no fresh clothes. What I DID have was a 5:30 am pickup for a TV show. I decided to be philosophical. S*** happens, right? And the tour had been remarkably trouble free.

I checked in, had some dinner and explored the gift shops downstairs, hoping they had basic makeup and grooming supplies. NO. Just poodle skirts and shot glasses, things like that. So I hiked to the supermarket–just across the street. Easy, right?

Easy, WRONG. Just getting from one side to the other was an act of death defying bravery, even with the ‘walk’ and ‘don’t walk’ sign. On the way over and on the way back, I got no farther than the center line before the “stop” hand started blinking.

Still, like the trooper I am, I’d managed to collect emergency supplies. I figured the clothes I’d worn on the plane would be okay in a pinch. I tried hard to relax. I took a nice bath. I called the bell desk. No, the bags had not arrived. Long story a little shorter, they finally DID arrive–at 1:30 am! I managed to speak coherently on my TV interview, but when I got back to the hotel, I put the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door, climbed into my pajamas, and CRASHED. I must have been ill, because I slept 20 out of 24 hours. Lunch and dinner were both room service–I never got out of my pajamas. (I was so glad to HAVE pajamas.)

Life on the road. It’s fun, it’s exhausting, and let’s face it, it’s Not Normal.

I’ll be doing a book signing tonight at Borders here in Reno tonight, from 6 to 8 pm. I hope you’ll stop by if you live in the area.

I’m headed home tomorrow morning. If all goes well technologically, I will try to blog before leaving for the airport.

If not, I’ll be blogging on Thursday for sure.

The tour has been great. Being at home with my critters and my plants will be even better.

It’s all good.

About Linda

The daughter of a town marshal, Linda Lael Miller is a #1 New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West.

Raised in Northport, Washington, Linda pursued her wanderlust, living in London and Arizona and traveling the world before returning to the state of her birth to settle down on a horse property outside Spokane.

Pin It on Pinterest